Online Live PDC
This course is delivered using our Online Course Program and Zoom meetings.
Description and Timeline
Introducing the internationally recognized Grow Permaculture Full Online Permaculture Design Course with hands-on learning and mentoring.
Now more than ever, people have attention on creating more choices and resilience in their lives. We want healthy food, a clean environment, and security for us, our children and future generations. This course offers practical steps to achieving these things in your own life, regardless of your circumstances.
In this course you will learn:
How to apply permaculture techniques to design your life.
How to grow your own food abundantly and sustainably.
How to increase your own abundance and quality of life while helping to heal the planet.
How to create and deepen beneficial connections with nature and with other people.
How to create a career using permaculture.
We have gotten many requests to offer an online version from people whose schedules don’t match up with our in-person courses or who prefer to study online. This course can be studied at your own pace, with a focus on your own site design. Creating the opportunity for a participatory and hands-on experience is important to us, so we include practical exercises that you perform on your own site. In addition we will have live Q and A sessions and personal mentoring with instructors and you will be able to share your experience with instructors and other students via photos, essays or videos.
We have added some exciting learning modules to the online version and other extras, including units with experts covering various topics. The course will address strategies for drylands, temperate, tropical and other climates based on the significant knowledge and experience of our instructors working in those climates and will also have bonus sections focused specifically on Florida/subtropical climate because of how unique the ecosystem is in Florida. Many of these techniques are very useful in multiple climates and we explain how and why.
Students will have an opportunity to self-test their knowledge, to join discussion groups with other students, to participate in question and answer sessions on Zoom (online video conference software) with instructors, and to get feedback from a personal mentor. In addition there are in-person modules for those who want that, and special sessions we normally can’t offer in person because of time and site constraints. We feel this exceeds the learning experience from an in-person course alone.
There are additional in-depth materials offered for each section of the course as well as a resource list where you can find more information on that topic and explore areas of interest more deeply.
Each student will complete a permaculture design of the site of their choice, working through it step-by-step to ensure you have an understanding of each step of the process. Upon successful completion of the course requirements, you will be awarded an internationally recognized certificate for the course.
Online Course Includes (minimum 72 hours of):
- Mentoring with veteran designers
- Hands-On exercises
- Videos of a variety of systems and how they work
- Written step-by-step instructions and other material
- Extensive subtropical plant lists and data, lists of recommended temperate, tropical and drylands plants
- Top resources for further study
- Test your knowledge with self-testing
- Exercises to increase your ability to apply the knowledge you gained
- Discussion groups and on-line community building opportunities
- Q and A with mentors
- Data and resources on permaculture careers
- Links to and data about quality permaculture networks that will continue to support you
- Internationally recognized Permaculture Design Course certificate upon completion
We are offering an early bird discount of $100 for the first 100 students, or until Jan 5 whichever comes first.
Full price is $595 for this comprehensive online course.
The online course material will remain accessible to you.
If you want to get a head start on the Syllabus order the book:
Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison and Reny Mia Slay (Available online).
Additional In-Person Classes
Pick one or more days of in-person class on our farm.
- Site assessment - walk through a site assessment, slope, soil, and more
- Soil building - composting, vermi-composting, sheet mulch, hugelkultur, cover crops and more
- Water catchment - in soil, earthworks, ponds, and rain catchment tanks
- Food forests and food systems - How, when and what to plant
- Propagation, wild foods and medicine, and mushrooms
- Built environment and energy systems - passive heating and cooling, solar, rocket stoves, and more
- Community building - exercises to build community
Cost: $125 per day, $500 for five days.Schedule for Online classes is listed at https://learn.growpermaculture.com.
Camping and food available with some schedules for an extra cost.
For those who already have a certificate or do not want a certificate but would like to access the course content, we offer a special price for this access of $195. You will not receive personal services such as mentoring or a certificate, but will be given full access to the course materials.Sign Up Available
You may also purchase additional focused one-on-one mentoring in phone or Zoom consultation for a discounted price as a Grow Permaculture student. $70 per hour or $195 for 3 hours.
We offer special scholarships to attend this course for people in the 2/3 world countries who are doing community work. We have done this throughout our careers, and have volunteered thousands of hours to endeavor to share as many resources as we can with individuals striving to implement permaculture in areas hard hit by climate change, political unrest, and other severe challenges. When you contribute to our scholarship fund, we will be able to spend more time on this work and reach more people. We also accept scholarship and partial pay applications from people in developed countries; we strive to give first priority to ⅔ world countries.
Coming soon here: Continuing education after the PDC including Advanced Courses, Mentoring for the Permaculture Institute of North America diploma, and other opportunities.
Subjects covered in the course:
- Permaculture design ethics, principles and tools
- Creating abundance with natural patterns
- Nutrient dense "beyond organic" gardening and farming
- Grow more food with less work by working with nature
- Edible landscaping, food in small spaces
- Building rich, live soils
- Designing sustainable water use
- Greywater and rainwater catchment
- Building food forests
- Agroforestry and ecoagriculture, regenerative farming
- Composting and vermicomposting
- Organic pest management
- Natural building and regenerative building technology
- Reducing energy costs in your home
- Best forms of sustainable energy
- Appropriate technology
- Boosting your career with permaculture
- Regenerative economics
- Designing for climate change
- Choosing the right land for you
- Increasing quality of life through “placemaking” design
- Community revitalization and rebuilding
- Successful intentional communities, ecovillages and cohousing, urban and rural
Who benefits from this course:
Testimonials from students
- City planners
- Do it yourselfers
- Educators – homeschool, teachers, professors
- Green architects/builders
- Green businesses
- Green consultants
- Holistic and natural health practitoners
- Non-profit/community organizers
- People seeking a career change
- People who care about the earth and each other
- People who love healthy or simple living
- Policy makers
- Professionals (of many types)
- Recent college graduates
- Religious leaders
- Urban and rural farmers
- Vegan, raw food, slow food, and/or local food
- Writers and journalists
- Yoga practitioners